Saturday, January 29, 2011

first glance at the university and the joys of wandering

Yesterday I finally saw the University. In comparison to the center of Dijon which is old and lovely, the University itself is primarily new and therefore lacks most of the charm. Walking around it I couldn't help thinking of the UNH campus (Durham) and how classically New England it is, which is one reason I feel lucky to call it my home campus (although the charm of New England doesn't always cover for very cold classrooms or incredibly hot ones such as Ham Smith or Horton). Still, I suppose it isn't where I physically sit when I take my classes, but what I take away from them.

Taken at Elsa's last night. Elsa is the person in focus.
As for when that in particular will be happening, it is not the one week away I thought it would be, but two. I thought I'd be starting my classes on the 7th of February, but it turns out that that is the day we take our SAT-length exam which tests our competency in French and then places us in a level accordingly. Actual classes will start the 14th, which right now feels like eons from now. Interspersed between now and those two dates there is

  • getting my University ID card (carte universitaire)
  • give my housing information to the Immigration office
  • getting my bus pass for the first month
  •  an official welcome day for all International Students at the University of Burgundy (and subsequently CIEF) on the 4th
  • a trip to Beaune
  • several tours of Dijon
  • who knows what else
The long wait to finally starting classes aside, I do now know when and where all my excursions will be to (Lyon, les Châteaux de la Loire, roman France/Provence) and when my spring break is (two weeks in April) so there is all of that to plan for.


There was nothing planned today, so at the beginning of the afternoon, I skyped for the first time with my parents. It was without incident, which was a relief, because I know a few other students have had some difficulties skyping for long periods of time.

I also wandered around Dijon with Amy. I bought myself a croissant aux abricots (apricot) which was as delicious as it sounds. I like wandering around Dijon because it's a great way of getting to know the city. Tours are one thing, but really knowing the twists and turns of the streets can only be discovered by wandering.

Amy at the sort of open-air market we wandered upon.
At one point we were following the trail of owls (chouette) which mark certain pieces of interest in Dijon when we turned down a street to discover vendors selling old history books. As we walked further we saw scarves (écharpe), hats, mustard (moutarde), jewlery and all sorts of other lovely things. The vendors were all very close to the actual market of Dijon, which was designed by Gustave Eiffel. The market itself was over for the day, but I know that in the future I'll definitely want to see it, and certainly buy some things from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment