Friday, May 13, 2011

eternal thanks

There will sadly be no photos in this entry mostly because upon getting back to France I've discovered that my camera is well and truly broke. From the internal problems that began in Rome, to the issues of dust I've been having throughout the semester and then the cracked LCD screen from Amsterdam, my camera became broken enough that it was more expensive to fix it than it was to buy a new one.

Armed with this reality I prepared myself for the reality of having a camera for the rest of the semester that would  work enough to take photos and then begin saving up for a new body when I got back to the US. This would have been the future of my picture taking adventures while in France were it not for my extraordinary parents. After talking with them upon getting back they told me, almost instantly, that I needed to have a camera and that they would buy a new one - we would split the price - and that it would be shipped to me in France. I must say that this meant so very much to me.

The first few years that I had my camera I obviously played around and then began experimenting with certain techniques as a way to make myself a better photographer. This past summer I felt was a particularly good one for me and my camera but this quite simply did not compare with my photographic experiences so far in France. Forcing myself to always have my camera with me - and I mean always - as well as attempting to take a photo as often as I can, has resulted in a true passion for photography. I loved photography before coming France but in going two weeks without a camera I've realized how much I ache for my camera and its ability to capture the world around me.

None of this would have been possible were it not for my parents and this is why I must say that I am forever grateful for everything they've done. I have been blessed with parents who have been there for me from day one and who have continued to be loving, supporting and very inspiring. This is more than just a thank you for a camera but for helping me to be me. I love you both beyond words.

That said (and always thought) the first two weeks back in Dijon have not been very eventful. Dijon itself is gorgeous now that it is basically summer and most of the days these past few weeks have been 70 degrees or above, most in the 80s. Dijon itself somehow seems much more alive in the spring and summer with cafe terraces everywhere and just about everyone enjoying the sun. I, unfortunately, got a sun-burn on my back a week-end ago but it's much better now and I've re-adopted a strict sunscreen regime.

Classes are going well and nearing their end which is weird as I feel like I've been in France for quite a long period of time but simultaneously feel like I've hardly been here at all. I now know the dates of all my exams and find myself trying to plan what will come after classes are over and done with. As my parents won't be arriving till the 11th of June and I will finish exams on the 31st of May there are quite a number of days that I have to fill. The current plan is to ride at least an hour a day (in preparation for my parents coming) depending on the accessibility of a bike and also potentially take some day trips to places around Dijon that as of now I have not yet visited.

As for the new camera, according to the USPS it arrived in France this morning and I hope that either tomorrow or by Monday I will have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment